Login

Main Menu

Fan-tasia Search

Themes

(4 themes)

Terry Hooley.
The Power and the Glory!
From Edinburgh
Programme about Terry Hooley on BBC Radio 4 now . Very good . I'm sure it will be repeated .

Best to all, John R

Posted on: 05/07/12 11:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Terry Hooley.
Taff
From Bangor N.I.
That would be Terri (with an i) .....or even one eye !

Actually have known him for 30 + years, a genuine Belfast legend and still going strong !!!!!

Posted on: 06/07/12 9:43

All my Horslips videos here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXBsY08fFbE&list=PL508D7EECE10652CF

Ring-A-Rosey
From Dundee Scotland
It was excellent.Happened on it by chance.Took me back to 76/77 etc.
Heady days.

Posted on: 06/07/12 12:05

Webmaster
From Belfast
I meant to get back on this one - things have been a bit "Radio Rental at Admin-Central"!

I used to go into his Good Vibrations Record Shop on Botanic Avenue for a browse through a very eclectic selection of material. I think he moved to Donegall/North Street? Arcade until someone allegedly razed it in an "insurance job" I think.

The "One-Eyed Supremo" wasn't all that popular at Queen's with the "Dance Committee". Problem was he wouldn't stop playing the music. The place was licenced until 12:30 am. Music meant (legally) to finish at 1.00 am.

Terri was infamous for just playing on and on, making it impossible for us to empty the place in allocated time (and working unpaid overtime) much to the annoyance of myself and a lot of vastly-less-well-tempered doorstaff.

Two of us approached him to Order him to stop the music! Big Micky Keenan 6'4" tall - one inch taller than me - bigger build - and with an explosive temper (really, really not to be messed with) with stunning authority and threat in his voice informed Terri that if he didn't stop playing the music "right-f*cking-NOW" he would poke his other eye out.

The music stopped.

Posted on: 09/07/12 19:16

The Power and the Glory!
From Killorglin, Co. Kerry
Good story Admin!

Posted on: 09/07/12 21:45

Taff
From Bangor N.I.
Admin....do you not mean the upstairs shop in Great Victoria Street?He then moved to another shop besides Shatesbury Square before the North Street Arcade.He reopened in a tiny place in a tiny arcade which no-one knew existed and this consequently closed. Then moved to a more high profile location in WinetvernStreet opposite the old Smithfield market which again closed.I believe he is now operating at the back of a clothes shop in Royal Avenue though I am not sure of the latter.Still frequently to be found playing music at various pubs in Belfast.

On the subject of the Dance Committee Micky is definitely the type of Customer Control Engineer I recall at Queens events !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 10/07/12 10:33

All my Horslips videos here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXBsY08fFbE&list=PL508D7EECE10652CF

Ring-A-Rosey
From Dundee Scotland
Memories of a legendary gig at Edinburgh uni back in the early 70's.
Local gangs threatened to crash the hall.
Uni 1st XV rugby team- three Scottish internationals Tomes,Barnes and Millican included- took on bouncer duties.
Epic scrap won easily by rugby guys ensued.
Can't remember who the band was though! lol

Posted on: 10/07/12 15:17

Webmaster
From Belfast
Quote:
Admin....do you not mean the upstairs shop in Great Victoria Street?He then moved to another shop besides Shatesbury Square before the North Street Arcade.He reopened in a tiny place in a tiny arcade which no-one knew existed and this consequently closed. Then moved to a more high profile location in WinetvernStreet opposite the old Smithfield market which again closed.I believe he is now operating at the back of a clothes shop in Royal Avenue though I am not sure of the latter.Still frequently to be found playing music at various pubs in Belfast.

Taff - that's exactly what I meant. Mindreader! But I shortened such detail radically with a view to get to the "eye-poking" bit.

Paddy - always good to see the rubgy guys coming out on top. On such nights, the music is incidental!

Posted on: 10/07/12 16:29

The Power and the Glory!
From Edinburgh
Hello Toff , sorry about the y instead of i . I generally try to be careful about spelling but sometimes I slip up !

I was actually in a hurry that morning ( back to Norn Iron for the 2nd time in a month ..not for fun stuff ), and wanted to post re the prog as I was packing . I think it is still on the BBC player as ' The Godfather of Ulster Punk'.

I too first came across him in the original shop (1976/7). Do you remember the smell that was in the shop? Not unpleasant , but strong and individual....Not sure if it was damp or from the 'Health Food ' store underneath ! If I take out LPs bought from his shop from their protective covers , the smell is still there !

A friend bought me a copy of ' Hooleygan 'when it came out . He went into the shop and asked for one to be dedicated to me . TH didn't have any but rounded one up that my friend obtained later that week . It is nicely signed with a ' flower' doodle !

The GV shop was wonderful and Terri was a very important person in those dark days .

Best to all , John R.

Posted on: 17/07/12 4:58

[Advanced Search]

Xoops
Powered

Themes By
4thefort