Main Menu

Fan-tasia Search

Themes

(4 themes)

(1) 2 »

Star of David Tour
The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
In the old days booking agents would often forget to look at a map when booking tours and often many smaller bands I worked with did what was called The Star of David tour.

A tour of this nature would see the band going to point A for a show, then to point B, with point C seeing the band travelling through Point A then Point D would see them go through point B and so on. We have booked our vacation and we arrive in Dublin September 12, travel to Edinburgh September 17, leave Edinburgh and fly to Dublin then train to Galway then back to Dublin the night before flying home via Toronto.

I did want to travel to the north but when you are married and planning a vacation you know it ends up quite different than the vision I had in my mind so I won't get to see the many halls the band played in the north, nor go to Cypress Avenue and feel the Van Vibe (and looking for Taff who as a fan in denial (or so I have heard) can be found lurking behind trees waiting to catch a glimpse of the man who fathered punk and hip hop. I got such a headache booking on Ryanair I just took everything they offered to make my one hour flight comfortable and now realize I could have flown to Qatar more cheaply. They do allow you to pay an advance fee in order to avoid being weighed on the return leg of the flight where they surgically remove any extra weight you may have gained to save fuel. We have five nights in Edinburgh where we plan to plan a number of things as well as listening for the roar of the lions at night from the zoo, explaining to many people we are not Americans and therefore have no opinion on Scotland, and will be looking for used record shops in Edinburgh and Dublin.

I hope to have my wife fall asleep early so I can get out into a pub for a few pints with whomever from here is available for a pint. I believe our dates in Dublin are September 12 and departing for Edinburgh on the 17th. Heading to Wicklow for some hiking and Galway will be doing the Burren National Park, Cliffs of Moher and whatever else presents itself.

Posted on: 13/08/18 15:18

Re: Star of David Tour
The Power and the Glory!
From Dublin
Don,

Looking like I'll be away early in September but hopefully will get back in time to meet up before you head on to Edinburgh on 17th.

John

Posted on: 13/08/18 23:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
That would be grand indeed. I am staying at Harolds Cross Road, Terenure, County Dublin. No idea where that is in relation to anything except east of Calgary. So if someone can recommend a place to gather I will be there. Also on the hunt for used record shops/vinyl stores. I need to buy the Horslips compilation on vinyl if possible.

I have to get to Belfast soon and meet Stephen and Jim further up north but time was just too short this trip. This is very exciting for me as my major at university was in Irish-Anglo Literature and did my thesis on James Joyce so this is special for me, and the other historical aspects of the city. Stephen made a very generous offer I felt sad having to decline but looking forward to the next trip. If any of the lads are about it would be nice to renew the acquaintance since it has been since 1975 we first met and had my HTMSTP autographed when I did the production for their concert but meeting fellow message boarders will be a delight indeed. I am very excited and less than a month to go. Flying Aer Lingus to Dublin and back to Toronto. I work with a Newfoundlander so anyone with a Cork accent I can understand and speak at.

Posted on: 14/08/18 4:48

Taff
From Bangor N.I.
sorry to be missing you Don, welcome up here anytime you are over again

Posted on: 14/08/18 23:10

All my Horslips videos here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXBsY08fFbE&list=PL508D7EECE10652CF

The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
Shall venture north at some point. Still need to get to Liverpool so when that is done my trek to the North will be done. The plan is to move to Portugal for half a year and do Europe and other places of interest from there saving the long trans-Atlantic flights and time zone hell. The first day is fine, the second okay, the third day is complete and utter exhaustion kicking in. We are 8 hours behind Dublin which is enough to skew ones internal clock. Much cheaper to make that flight once cost wise then use local carriers, air or train, to move around Europe so it shall come to pass.

Looking forward to meeting some of you on this leg. Hope it happens.

Posted on: 15/08/18 4:10

The Power and the Glory!
I'll say hello to Liverpool for you next week when I'm there for International Beatleweek Festival.

Posted on: 15/08/18 10:42

The Power and the Glory!
From Dublin
Hi Don,

I hope you got here OK. I am just back from my own holiday in Geneva so hopefully will catch up at some point over the next couple of days.

John

Posted on: 12/09/18 13:47

The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
Just went for a walk. Arrived into Dublin at 5:30am this morning and took the #16 from the airport to Harold's cross road and walked a few steps to the door. Nice flat and there is a Tesco a minute away and the bus stop back downtown/airport is right outside the front door. Wife is a bit knackered end so I went out walking to wake up and get my bearings. Shall go out for another stroll and try to get on Dublin time by staying awake and then hit the ground running tomorrow. Blue skies prevail and the rain called for on our arrival failed to dampen our visit. So nice to be here.

Posted on: 12/09/18 16:28

Taff
From Bangor N.I.
My daughter and boyfriend are in Dublin at moment, returning to NZ from there tomorrow. Have a Guinness while you are out for a walk.Check out Bad Bobs, Essex Street just past Rory Gallagher corner.Latter not very impressive TBH, half way up a wall and easily missed walking past it. Have fun, Don.

Posted on: 12/09/18 18:45

All my Horslips videos here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXBsY08fFbE&list=PL508D7EECE10652CF

The Power and the Glory!
From Dublin
Don,
I have no specific plans for either tonight or tomorrow night (Sat & Sun). While I am on the other side of the city I actually grew up not far from where you are staying and I play my winter five a side football in Terenure college. Happy to call over to the Terenure Inn for one tonight or tomorrow night or if you have plans to be elsewhere could meet up somewhere else. Let me know what suits.
John

Posted on: 15/09/18 14:07

The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
Just heading out the door for our last day here before shuffling off to Scotland. Would around 7:30 work for you? We should be back by then. My email is donrodgers@shaw.ca. And it will forward to my phone and likely easier than checking the message board.

Don

Posted on: 16/09/18 10:55

The Power and the Glory!
From Dublin
Don
7.30 is perfect for me. I'll email you now.
John

Posted on: 16/09/18 11:50

The Power and the Glory!
From Pittsburgh,PA
Hi Lads,

Hopefully get a few photos from your meet? Thanks and cheers to you. November rolling in soon, be meeting a bunch hopefully new friendships as well as old ones.

Best

Mick

Posted on: 17/09/18 11:36

Taff
From Bangor N.I.
we are a friendly bunch, you will make a lot of new mates !

Posted on: 17/09/18 17:34

The Power and the Glory!
From Dublin
Hi,

Don & I did indeed meet up and spent a very enjoyable couple of hours chatting about all sorts.

Horslips may have been mentioned once or twice as was football and Whiskey and Whisky.

Will attempt to attach a photo.

John

Attach file:

jpg  John & Don Meet.jpg (668.40 KB)
426_5b9ffb7270fa7.jpg 1947X1944 px

Posted on: 17/09/18 20:07

Taff
From Bangor N.I.
uploaded first time for you, this site has it in for me. Good to see you met up, hopefully next visit Don will get to Belfast !

Posted on: 17/09/18 20:19

The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
It has been an amazing trip meeting Donegal and insider and Stephen who braved the long drive twice to get together. An d then I find out my sister, whom I have not seen. In three years or more arrived in Edinburgh today as did I so I will be seeing her tomorrow. Originally we were missing each other but when. I had to change plans and not go north it worked out without me knowing it whe n I changed the dates. I see the man RVR on Wednesday at his home where he will be entertaining my wife and I with his lovely wife the Dicvine Miss L. It could not have morphed into a better trip!

Hospitality supreme and it has been incredible. I must make it north on the next trip.

Cheers

Don

Posted on: 17/09/18 21:24

Taff
From Bangor N.I.
ah the famous insider! still to make his acquaintence though I may have under his real name ! Good for Stefan that is some trip ! Definitely include Norn Iron next trip !

Posted on: 18/09/18 10:59

The Power and the Glory!
From Pittsburgh,PA
Fantastic John, Don

That is great you could connect, looking forward to The Con sounds like be meeting a ton of folks.

Cheers

Mick

Posted on: 18/09/18 11:31

You speak in whispers of the devils I have slain
Don. T'was a pleasure to meet you and Beth. The evening certainly flew.

Safe trip back to Canada

Posted on: 22/09/18 20:06

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Xoops
Powered

Themes By
4thefort