Login

Main Menu

Fan-tasia Search

Themes

(4 themes)

Has everyone gone back to school?
The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
Very quiet here, has everyone gone back to school? Maybe everyone is just waiting for the disaster that is the American election to run its course - the whole thing is beginning to resemble a politico sci-fi series on Netflix, resulting in civil war (rather than just the skirmishes we are witnessing daily). I cannot imagine how it must feel to have a choice between two old men - one absent of morals, ethics, and compassion and a compulsive me-firster or a tired old man with no platform and no vision. Having to vote to see which disreputable parent is going to be your guardian for the next four years must be disheartening; it puts demolition in democracy. If there is one good element to the whole thing is the fact if Trump wins again, only four more years of Trump and he has to step down unless he can convince the Supreme Court he is the next Putin in waiting. Now Trump is making noises about Canada wanting to reopen our border. Mr. Trump, leave those borders closed! More than 90% of Canadians want the border to remain shut until America gets a grip on the pandemic. The rush of new immigrants fleeing America could be a very real scenario once they open it up again.

Posted on: 19/09/20 20:53

Re: Has everyone gone back to school?
The Power and the Glory!
From Dublin
Hi Don,

Still here, but checking in less frequently and only posting when I actually have something to say, except for now because I don't really have any Horslips news at the moment, even the first half of 2021 is looking dodgy for gigs so I can see the rescheduled ones I have tickets for in Derry & Dublin moving again.

I have, like everyone else been joining a few live streams as my only access to live music at the moment. Some of them have been very good but it is rare for any of them to go all the way through without at least one incidence of the stream freezing.

I had actually booked tickets for my first real gig in a real venue for next Friday. Rob Strong was to play in the Workmans Club in Dublin, reduced capacity, social distancing, mask wearing etc. But unfortunately the new level three lockdown this week for Dublin means all indoor events are cancelled or postponed so it is not going to happen next Friday. Hopefully we will get back to level 2 in three weeks and gigs can happen again.

John

Posted on: 20/09/20 5:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

The Power and the Glory!
Hi guys,
I looked in to see if anyone was talking about Charles' Shell Album which is now on CD. Not yet! I'll put it on a thread
On the America election I don't see it as the lesser of 2 evils. We laughed in amusement when Trump was elected. What a clown he would be! Then we discovered, he has the values of a Mafia leader, Don, and the power of the president of the USA.
My fear is he corrupts the next election and keeps power!

It has impacted us here in Ireland and Uk...... directly! Trump has set precedents in world politics. Integrity should underpin politics. Trump's survival has undermined that in the USA, and set the environment where integrity is disposable. That transferred to UK politics. But it's diffent there, Boris Johnson is the clown, a shallow shamless
puppet actor. He is front man for 2 daggered witches, Gove and Cummings, who don't have an ounce of compassion or integrity between them. The game at play has no winners. We are angry in Northern Ireland, all of us. Scotland is angry. Ireland is angry. Europe is angry and many of the thinking people in England are angry. Where is it all going next? Who knows! Boris doesn't and witches dont care. If I could un-hitch from the UK I would do it now! Not for any aspiration of Mother Ireland, but to be rid of the links to the government that is risking the peace and stability we have here. It took generations to arrive at a peaceful, everyone-wins, situation here in Northern Ireland. It was built slowly and painfully through years of thought, navigation, balance, and integrity. The brexiteers have shown no evidence of realism or sustained thinking. Let's make a deal, like en-stuff, and can I have a bag of cheesenonion crisps.
And Trump has influnced this, he set the scene where this is ok. He needs removed, one way or another!

And John(DD) i was in your Donegal yesterday, out for a drive. Gorgeous day. Came back through Derry and wondered as you have been, "will Covid be sorted by March?". Its a good question. I was meant to see Jim Nelis but he couldn't make it at the time.
Too bad about rob strong.
Hope to see you next year.
Stephen

Posted on: 20/09/20 13:56

The Power and the Glory!
From Pittsburgh,PA
Hi All,

Hope all well StefanF & Don,

I agree we are in a very troubled state with either Trump or Biden. Sad when race has to be involved to pick a running mate and that is exactly what Biden did with Harris. Wished we could get a younger Kennedy but many folks did not like him either. Many are voting with the post office so we will not know for months who won, all these cities with the protests not peaceful either is sad. BLM is another KKK as far as I am concerned civil war is a correct prediction it is heading there and I do not blame Canada or any place to keep the border closed until it gets controlled. CDC has been clueless from the start about all of it including wearing masks or not to wear them. Keep praying it clears up sooner than later. Best To All

Posted on: 22/09/20 15:45

The Power and the Glory!
That’s interesting Mick. I grew up here looking towards the USA as the land of milk and honey. I never thought I’d have enough money to go there. And now I find if been lucky enough to have had multiple trips with my whole family. It’s a wonderful place. But, like here, there are social problems that need worked at. Fingers crossed that we get leaders that improve all that.
For me politics is a bit like music. I don’t really understand it, but it can really change the way I feel.
Meanwhile back at the ranch/farm ... there’s Horslips, a remedy for many things. I don’t now., but I used to get migraines and the cure was to lie down put a pillow over my head and listen to the book of invasions.

Posted on: 26/09/20 14:29

The Power and the Glory!
That’s interesting Mick. I grew up here looking towards the USA as the land of milk and honey. I never thought I’d have enough money to go there. And now I find if been lucky enough to have had multiple trips with my whole family. It’s a wonderful place. But, like here, there are social problems that need worked at. Fingers crossed that we get leaders that improve all that.
For me politics is a bit like music. I don’t really understand it, but it can really change the way I feel.
Meanwhile back at the ranch/farm ... there’s Horslips, a remedy for many things. I don’t now., but I used to get migraines and the cure was to lie down put a pillow over my head and listen to the book of invasions.

Posted on: 26/09/20 14:31

The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
Stefan, I found music to be a healing power as well. I too used to lie down and put Yes on the turntable with a pillow over my head. Then I felt an incredible weight pushing down on the pillow and breathing became a struggle. Since Beth, my wife could not suffocate Jon Anderson, I was the next choice to make the music go away!

Posted on: 26/09/20 20:50

The Power and the Glory!
So, Don, you were pilloried with a pillow? Yes?

Posted on: 28/09/20 2:25

The Power and the Glory!
From Pittsburgh,PA
Hi StefanF,

It used to be I guess as you say now very troubled and I have no faith in either running idiots. Same here with politics usually do not discuss it but I do like the idea of hearing The Power & The Glory with pillows or better yet great headphones, if too loud the missus will grab me up-LOL. Hope everyone is safe out there in Lipsland

Posted on: 28/09/20 18:31

The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
Indeed I was! Stefan, heading off to Field, British Columbia for three days of hiking. We are getting snow now at elevations above 2100 metres so heading to the BC mountains for the last big hikes of the season. Where we hiked last week is now snow-covered. We probably can slip in some hiking east of the Rockies in the foothills area. It was this time last year we went hiking and started the trail on a beautiful clear day, about 9C so perfect hiking weather and as we neared the cirque a snow storm came in from out of nowhere and we were buffeted by high winds and stinging snow - horizontal snow, the worst kind as it stings your eyes. Two days later that trail was buried in 90 cms of snow. We ran into a young mother with four young kids hiking with her and she carrying a toddler on her back - running shoes, light jackets, no gloves or hats etc. etc which explains why there have been so many hikers rescued this summer, they just don't know how quickly weather can change in the mountains.

Shall send photo's from the trail to you. Hope everyone is well and safe. I know frustration is building for some but we have to remind ourselves how lucky we are despite the pandemic temporarily altering our lives - we can turn on our taps, go the grocers and green markets, turn on our heat or AC, and get to a hospital - the first world problems just don't get my sympathy when compared to poorer countries where drinking water can kill you.

I get Van's frustration but really, cry me a river you cannot tour. His next album, pandemic related, should be called No Method, No Guru, No Clue.

Be safe, be well, be kind.

Posted on: 28/09/20 19:17

... I'm a builder
From Dunboyne
Is it safe to say I never liked, dont like, and will never like Van Morrison`s music bar a few of them?? I cant stand Gloria...there I said it!

Isnt musical taste a complete mystery. my attempts to persuade friends of the wonders of David Surkamp of Pavlov`s Dog unique vocals is usually met with revulsion or at best complete indifference

Posted on: 29/09/20 21:25

Everything will be alright
From The True North of Ireland
David Surkamp's voice is extraordinary.

Posted on: 21/10/20 1:45

[Advanced Search]

Xoops
Powered

Themes By