Login

Main Menu

Fan-tasia Search

Themes

(4 themes)

The End
Taff
From Bangor N.I.
Sad news. Sound like no more live performances again. Best wishes to all and take care Barry Devlin Johnny Fean Jim Lockhart . It has been wonderful since your comeback and so happy I put on the Horslips Cons in 2018 especially and 2019 with CQAF which produced more live gigs. It would seem that those of us who went to Culdaff appear to be the lucky ones to see the last performance of this legendary band.

"Horslips regret to announce that due to health issues the upcoming gigs, already rescheduled due to Covid restrictions, have now had to be cancelled. This applies to Derry, Dublin and Waterford. We're really sorry about this but it's due to circumstances beyond our control. They won't be rescheduled. Arrangements are being made for ticket refunds where this hasn't already happened. We'd like to thank all our fans who've waited so patiently and been so loyal to the band. We've absolutely loved playing for you and hope you enjoyed it half as much as we did."

Posted on: 16/09/21 18:58

All my Horslips videos here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXBsY08fFbE&list=PL508D7EECE10652CF
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: The End
One-hundred heads are so much better than One...
From Maldon
Very Sad news but not totally unexpected as none of us are getting younger. All should be grateful that Horslips came to their senses to reform for the exhibition and Rollback and the sensational 02 show in 2009 and so on. I first saw Horslips at Wembley Empire pool (now Arena ) supporting Thin Lizzy in the mid 70s . I last saw them at Feile 19 down at Thurles in Tipp which was a great night. They were introduced on stage by Dustin The Turkey. True > This was 40 years after I had last seen them at Hammersmith Odeon ( Now Apollo) on the American Tour in Feb 79.

I am sure that everybody will have been happy to see Horslips only ever on top form and would not want to see them perform below that level and become like Dylan or Van Morrison who will more than likely end up being wheeled on stage

Thanks to Horslips and the Horslips fans I have met over the years that have proven that quality over quantity is very true.

Good health and good luck to all

Posted on: 21/09/21 7:34

The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
All good things must come to an end and our (as Van might say) "days of eternal youth spent in green fields and forests, our spines cushioned by wonder for we are not to die, have been eclipsed by nightfall where darkness fills the sky, and hope always springs eternal...". My one and only show was in 1973 in Antigonish, Nova Scotia. I did get to meet the lads, had them all autograph my HTMSTP album, shared many beer after the show. Robbie was patient and informative while I peppered him with questions about the gear. I was very fortunate to have been able to meet with some of them in Dublin on my last trip and it is a memory I never will forget-their hospitality and generosity for a stranger and his wife, made a lasting impression. One day I still hope to get back and renew the ties. If the pandemic ever subsides maybe they may find themselves out in western Canada and I can be their host.

Be safe and well everyone and hopefully one day, events may still bring us together again, thanks to Taffs' hard work and dedication.

Peace.

Posted on: 22/09/21 19:12

The Power and the Glory!
From Pittsburgh,PA
Hi All,

Very well stated Don, I too had the honor of meeting them on three occasions, first in Dun Laoghaire Barry & Jim actually came to Hotel to spend time with the wife and and sign Man Who Built America CD, 2nd time had the blast of meeting many wonderful folks and seeing them live in Killarney. Was invited backstage to have a few and shoot the vibe with them. Last one was at Taff55's Con in Belfast. Goodness how Connie and I was treated from all of you on here and the bands. Never will I forget the kindness and gracious ways of the folks we met. Saddened but understand why, I am praying to get over again to see and meet some of you but not looking all that promising with this Covid and just flying period. Myself, I will not ever say goodbye. Until we meet again good people

Love You All

Mick

Posted on: 25/09/21 0:08

Everything will be alright
From The True North of Ireland
Ah, surely not the end?

What a ride it's been. From the heady early days - my first gig at St. Columb's Hall, Derry, in January 1975, following them around Inishowen and then managing to catch them in Eastbourne and Weymouth in England, the thirty year fag break, seeing the Johnny Fean band at a very dark and damp Moville Festival in about 2003, when about 7 people turned out in the rain (of which my family were four of them)...then chatting to Johnny afterwards and being amazed that he remembered me from the old days... the exhibition which I was gutted I didn't get to the opening night of (long story) but was first through the door on the day of the exhibition itself... leading to the comeback gigs, being in the front row in Belfast 2009, and the Waterfront Hall the next year, the Ulster Orchestra gig (front row for that one too as it happened), Cropredy (front row again), the Cloth Ear and Ulster Hall with Eamon on the kit, Dunluce Castle, Sligo, the Olympia Christmas gigs, Rory Gallagher festival, Culdaff with Paddy Goodwin and the Holy Ghosts... twice... Johnny's 60th birthday party in Shannon...Johnny at the Derry Fleadh...and so much more, including the two brilliant Horslips Cons, culminating in Culdaff in 2019. And then getting to open for them - THREE times, in Culdaff, Dublin and Belfast, with the privilege of having Jim play with us on two of those occasions. And so much backstage craic and laughter, drink taken, and quantities of tea consumed with Johnny, interviews done, and just all round good times with all of them.

None of it will be forgotten and I don't believe it is the end.

Love and thanks to all.

Posted on: 25/09/21 2:54

The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
I think it is relatively safe to gather here to share stories and remembrances without fear of contracting Covid or its variants. On a happier note Canada tied Mexico 1-1 despite outplaying Mexico, in a world cup qualifier. Only ten teams in 87 years have taken a point playing Mexico at Azeteca Stadium. we are ranked 51 and Mexico 9th. They were lucky to escape with a tie against Canada who remains undefeated thus far in the qualifying round after six games.

Posted on: 12/10/21 9:50

The Power and the Glory!
Speaking of Mexico.
Perhaps it was from California but I'm going to guess it was when they were in Texas. Apparently on one of their off days Johnny went on a day trip to Mexico and nearly got stuck there, not allowed back over the border. You'd imagine in the 70s the borders may have been less strict and Johnny & band somewhat laissez-faire or whatever the Spanish equiv is (inocente?).
It's a question to save for when we catch up with him next.
Perhaps he was looking for Carlos Santana who he was thinking of for the guitar sound on this?

Posted on: 18/10/21 14:26

Swaggerin' down the hall
From Wilmington, Kent, UK
Somewhere deep inside I half-expected that the end of the road for Horslips was imminent. Initially I thought the upcoming - now cancelled - gigs would be their swansong. And what a swansong it would have been. Sadly, but entirely understandably, those farewell appearances - if that is what they would have been - are just not feasible any longer.

Now that the end has come, all I have in my heart is gratitude, love and respect for this amazing band of troubadours. A band that has delighted me, excited me, uplifted me, surprised me, and made me feel part of a family of fans and followers the length and breadth of Ireland, stretching over to the UK, into Europe, across the Atlantic, and down into Australia and New Zealand. From buying my first Horslips record, Johnny's Wedding, to seeing them for the first time in Tramore in 1974, to the final time I saw them at the O2 in Dublin in 2009 - a mere 35 years later - and on to compiling my most recent Horslips playlist just a couple of weeks ago, it has been been quite, quite extraordinary.

By my reckoning both Jim and Barry are now in their mid-70s, Johnny is on the cusp of 70, and of course both Charles and Eamonn have found the demands of remaining in the band unsustainable. All five of them well deserve to hang up their instruments, park the touring bus for the last time, and enjoy the many years I hope they all still have ahead of them.

For me, the joy and delight Horslips continue to bring me is best summarised in the following lines from one of my most favourite tracks by them - Sideways to The Sun

'We're the mystery of the lake
When the water's still
We're the laughter in the twilight
You can hear beyond the hill...'

I will always hear that twilight laughter gentlemen. And it will always sing to my soul.

Thank you Charles, Eamonn, Barry, Jim and Johnny. Wherever you go, whatever you do, may the road always rise with you and may the gentle breezes always take you home.

Posted on: 24/10/21 17:44

The Power and the Glory!
From Dublin
Well said Gerard.

I think the message we all want to give is one thanks for all the great musical memories and all the friends we have made over the years of supporting Horslips.

I have been lucky enough to meet Barry and Maggie Fean since the news broke and have been able to pass on my message of thanks to them. I hope to catch up with Jim at some stage to say the same to him.

John

Posted on: 25/10/21 15:53

Swaggerin' down the hall
From Wilmington, Kent, UK
And I have no doubt you said so in the most eloquent and gracious way John. In that regard you have performed an invaluable service for us all by passing on your words of thanks in person.

A gentle feeling of melancholy has settled over me today as I absorb the news we are conversing about. I only discovered it yesterday, mere minutes before I posted my earlier message. Horslips have been the soundtrack to my life from 1972 when I first came across them, aged 21, right up to the present day, when I have just turned 70.

Even though it is highly unlikely I would have ever seen them again, I feel sad that even the remote possibility I might somehow do so is now forever extinguished. But haven't we all been incredibly lucky to have had them in our lives for well nigh on fifty years?

The answer to that question is a resounding YES! Yes we have been. Very lucky indeed. And then some!

Posted on: 25/10/21 20:29

The Power and the Glory!
From Dublin
Hi,

I took the opportunity of Wednesdays Box Set launch to talk to both Jim and Charles and pass on the same message of thanks for the last fifty years of Horslips that I had previously given to Barry and to Johnny via Maggie. I didn't get a chance to talk to Eamon who was understandably minimising his contact with anyone at the event so I really just waved at him and he waved back.

So four out of five done now!!

John

Posted on: 20/03/22 1:42

The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
John, was that Mr. Ferris, of S Ferris fame in attendance or his doppleganger?

Posted on: 20/03/22 8:59

The Power and the Glory!
From Dublin
Don,

Yes, the esteemed StefanF was in attendance as was our Admin.

John

Posted on: 25/03/22 4:56

[Advanced Search]

Xoops
Powered

Themes By
4thefort