Main Menu

Fan-tasia Search

Themes

(4 themes)

(1) 2 3 »

TALL TALES Book: Video Promos
Everything will be alright
From Southend-on-Sea
If you haven't seen them yet, here are some YouTube links to two of the seven of the video promos that I’ve made in advance of the book publication. There will be more to follow over the next few months — the next is due in early February — and each of them feature some very rare images that a lot of you may not have seen before. I'm obviously not including Messrs S. Ferris, J. Nelis and P. Callaghan in that statement. ;)

http://youtu.be/JlTxkXGtiOA

http://youtu.be/tL9nKd06Inw

Also, just to whet your appetites, here is a wee snippet from the Man Who Built America section of the book...

MAKING THE MAN WHO BUILT AMERICA
An Extract From 'Tall Tales: The History Of Horslips'

The release of The Man Who Built America (MOO 17) marks the involvement of a new producer, Steve Katz, a former songwriting member of Blood, Sweat & Tears, who influences an American stadium rock sound. Recorded in Dublin and completed at London’s Advision Studios, the album is the third in a themed trilogy of albums and will be their last for DJM. The Irish sleeve is notably different to the UK design (DJF 20546), however, the latter ‘international’ version will become regarded as the definitive artwork.

Barry: With Aliens under our belt we felt there was a legitimate reason to continue the migration theme, which is how The Man Who Built America came about. It was originally going to be titled ‘The Wheels Of The World’, after Mickey MacGowan’s Irish language book ‘Rotha Mor an tSaoil’ which means literally ‘Big Wheel Of Life’ [it has been translated into English under the title ‘The Hard Road To Klondike’].

Aliens and The Man Who Built America were held together in how they looked and felt by the remnants of a trilogy idea, to follow The Book Of Invasions. When we finished Invasions, we all agreed that this approach worked for us in that this was what Horslips was always about, and that there were other tales of migrations to deal with. It might originally been a diptych rather than a triptych. Few bands ever look beyond their next album. We had notions of a trilogy but it wasn’t clear until we finished Aliens and thought, ‘OK, there’s one last thing here...’.

Eamon: We had attracted a certain amount of airplay in the States for Aliens and it had charted over there, so the suggestion was that we should look at bringing in an American producer to capitalise on this and get more of a live rock feel. Steve Katz came over to see us and it was a done deal for the next album.

Steve Katz: In 1978, I was at Mercury Records and we were doing a distribution deal in America for DJM, whose acts at the time included Horslips and Johnny ‘Guitar’ Watson. I was intrigued with Horslips from the start and Bob Epstein from DJM and I went over to see them do a gig in Armagh. They were great and we got on very well from the start. I think they were interested in the fact that I was more a musician than an A&R man, and while I was hanging out with the guys, they asked if I’d be interested in handling their production. It wasn’t because they felt unhappy with how the last album had been produced. They were simply looking for a new character of sound for their next release.

It was coming to the end of the ’70s; punk had happened and the FM influence was big, and they wanted to become more popular and radio-friendly in the American market. Aliens had already suggested this direction and what I did was to open up the production to appear a little wider and brighter, with extra reverb and echo.

That was what The Man Who Built America was all about. We layered a lot of heavier guitar sounds for that album in a bid to be more ‘contemporary rock’. Whether that was a good or bad decision is debatable.

Barry: When Steve Katz came in, he heard this new bunch of songs that we had and insisted that we needed to do more work on them before recording. So we put an extra week into honing them. It was a week well spent because not only did we gain his confidence, we also gained more confidence ourselves. It meant that Steve could get involved in the genesis of new material. Or at least that was the theory, because we’d try and hide from him as much as we could, but he was one smart cookie.

Eamon: The recording sessions started at Lombard Studios in Dublin but there were problems — ghost noises and strange clicks happening on the tape. You’d run a backing track and hear something weird going on. The studio was stripped down to find the fault and there was talk of an exorcist being brought because it really sounded as if the fuckin’ place was haunted. But we’d recorded there before and there were no bad vibes.

We couldn’t deal with this any longer as it was sapping energy and patience, so the multitrack tapes were wrapped up in silver paper and everything was taken over to Advision Studios in London. The sessions were pretty much started again from scratch and Katz got a much bigger sound there.

Steve Katz: Advision was a good environment and being in London was very enjoyable. For ‘Green Star Liner’ we hired a great Uilleann piper, Tommy McCarthy, but the tuning was all over the place. The pipes would go in and out of tune, and you can hear that on the track because we never did get to solve the problem. Of course, these days you could use digital pitch control, but this was 1978.

Eamon: Declan O’Doherty was brought on board as the engineer— he’s also a very good pianist [O’Doherty would later play piano on ‘The Life You Save’ from Short Stories / Tall Tales]. He was from Derry and based in London. Declan was a useful bridge because he had an ear for the Irish thing and was good on melody, and we were impressed with the fact he had worked on Gerry Rafferty’s ‘Baker Street’.

Johnny: I was in favour of a bigger sound and with tracks like ‘I’ll Be Waiting’ and ‘Loneliness’, that big sound was our new foundation. But in achieving that, we lost something else along the way — the traditional instrumentation that was Horslips’ original trademark. I think we were so focused on achieving that stadium rock sheen that we overlooked getting the balance of the instrumentation right.

Eamon: It was during those sessions more than at any other time that I felt a style shift. I wasn’t happy at all with the direction of The Man Who Built America and it’s no one person’s fault. I bought into having Steve Katz as the producer. I was there when we were figuring out our drum sound, and I roundly endorsed a third part to the loose trilogy idea of The Book Of Invasions and taking up the story of those Irish people who bedded down in America. I thought it would be very fruitful in terms of songwriting and so on. But I envisaged more of a sepia-toned roots approach than embracing the stadium rock sound. There would be electric stuff on it as well as concertina and fiddle, and probably leaning more towards John Mellencamp or T-Bone Burnett. Looking back, I really think that this kind of production would have been a fantastic move for Horslips in 1978, but we didn’t have that collective vision.

Barry: As a soloist, Johnny’s one of the most lyrical guitarists who ever put a plectrum to a string. Until ‘I’ll Be Waiting’, my favourite guitar solo was the one Martin Barre played on Jethro Tull’s ‘We Used To Know’ from Stand Up, in which he used the wah-wah and kept building it up. Johnny’s is prettier and stronger in my view and, yes, it’s the best solo I’ve ever heard to this day. He still plays it as wonderfully as ever.

Like ‘Sideways To The Sun’ and ‘Ghosts’ before it, ‘I’ll Be Waiting’ was a golden moment for me because we tapped into something truly melodic and achieved a writing peak. We had complexity and character.

Copyright © 2012 Mark Cunningham. All Rights Reserved.

Posted on: 27/01/12 15:01

Re: TALL TALES Book: Video Promos
Swaggerin' down the hall
That is brilliant Mark. thank you.

Posted on: 27/01/12 15:34
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

The Power and the Glory!
From Pittsburgh,PA
Mark, fantastic reading, viewing. Cannot wait to purchase this brilliant piece. Thanks for the previews Cheers Mick

Posted on: 27/01/12 17:06

Webmaster
From Belfast
Mark, I've taken the liberty of highlighting this information up on the Front Page of the site.

Many thanks for the sight of this.

Noel

Posted on: 27/01/12 18:55

Only a mad moonlighter
From Co.Armagh, Ireland
Great work, Mark. Can't wait till the book comes out.

Posted on: 27/01/12 19:11

By the Fire of my Silver Devil's Blade
Thanks for posting. Nice whetting of appetite.

Posted on: 27/01/12 20:59

From Southend-on-Sea
Thanks Admin!

And to all of you.

A special 1972 "40th anniversary" video is in the can and coming soon.

Mark

Posted on: 28/01/12 0:08

You speak in whispers of the devils I have slain
Looking good Mark. If I can contribute any lies to the book please let me know. I can recall a few I posted here and in the original green guestbook (I saved a copy of one which you are welcome to) in the past. That said, the innocent were protected and virginities were not compromised.

Posted on: 28/01/12 1:11

The Power and the Glory!
From Edinburgh
Good stuff , Mark ! Images and narrative all looking first rate. I am so pleased that the boys are going to get a book of the calibre that they deserve .

Thanks ,

John R.

Posted on: 28/01/12 6:23

Swaggerin' down the hall
From Scotland
Fantastic Mark, have to say reading your post and checking out promo videos immediatly instilled a sense of great anticipation akin to what I remember feeling in the 70's awaiting release of the albums. Absolutely can't wait to get my copy of this book!

Posted on: 28/01/12 20:32

The Power and the Glory!
From The Mid West ( and I don't mean Wisconsin or Minnesota ! )
Appetites well and truly whetted there Mark with that excerpt !

Well done on the promos as well, my daughter visits the Horslips facebook page and she's showed a few of them to me, .....good stuff !!

Posted on: 28/01/12 21:38

Taff
From Bangor N.I.
This looks like being a classic ! I never get time to read books but for this I will take a week off work and go to a remote Scottish island to ensure I get reading it!!!!!!!!!!!

ps don't tell the wife this ........

Posted on: 28/01/12 22:20

All my Horslips videos here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXBsY08fFbE&list=PL508D7EECE10652CF

Webmaster
From Belfast
Quote:
ps don't tell the wife this ........

Taff, can you post your wife's email-address and phone number?

I just need to make sure that I don't accidentally not tell her that you're not reading a book on an Island which doesn't belong to a

aaa\\\\\aa\\\\aa\aa\\\\\\aaaaaa\\\\\aaa\aa\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\\\\a\a\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\aaaaaaaaaaaaaa\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\\\aaaaaaaaa\a\a\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Bollocks! There's a friggin' bit of corned-beef stuck under the keyboard again.

Posted on: 29/01/12 0:57

Taff
From Bangor N.I.
Would do but she doesn't like calls from strange men....not that I would ever suggest you are strange. Though on second thoughts .......

Posted on: 29/01/12 19:23

All my Horslips videos here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXBsY08fFbE&list=PL508D7EECE10652CF

The Power and the Glory!
From Dublin
Mark,

Keep the extracts coming. It doesn't matter if we have all seen every bit of your book posted here, we will still buy it. Some of us multiple copies.

John.

Posted on: 29/01/12 22:52

Ring-A-Rosey
From Dundee Scotland
Just to add my thanks for the excerpts so far Mark.Roll on December and the launch.

Posted on: 29/01/12 22:56

... I'm a builder
Great to get a taste for the book Mark. I'm reall looking forward to its arrival.

Posted on: 29/01/12 23:19

You speak in whispers of the devils I have slain
Well done Mark. The extract is a great read!

Posted on: 30/01/12 13:17

From Southend-on-Sea
Hey guys, I'm well chuffed, thanks for so many positive comments. Someone (they know who) pointed out the...er...deliberate error in the above extract. Anyone who finds the repeated line will win a bubble gum.

Anyway, as you're such grand people I'll give you two days' head start over the Facebook gang with a "leaked" link to the next video.

THE MAN WHO BUILT AMERICA (1978)

http://youtu.be/FOt_SLZnRso

(And yes I know it contains stuff from '79 but...oh whatever! Enjoy.

Posted on: 30/01/12 14:22

From Southend-on-Sea
Big thanks to Admin for the front page plug!

Posted on: 30/01/12 14:23

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Xoops
Powered

Themes By
4thefort