Main Menu

Fan-tasia Search

Themes

(4 themes)

(1) 2 3 »

TEN WHOLE YEARS
Everything will be alright
From Southend-on-Sea
Ten years ago, on March 20th 2004, the unthinkable happened when all five members of Horslips reunited for the first time in nearly 24 years to play what they believed was a one-off, intimate live performance, at the launch of the History of Horslips exhibition at the Orchard Gallery in Derry. To everyone in attendance – including the band themselves – it was little short of a miracle.

Although I had been invited, I was unable to make it over to share the fun and excitement, but I was thrilled to hear all the stories afterwards.

I'm sure you will all join me in once again thanking Jim Nelis, Paul Callaghan and Stephen Ferris for organising and staging their exhibition (which I later visited in Belfast), and Horslips themselves for finally getting back in the saddle and reminding us of why we've always loved them.

This was the real driving force behind 'Tall Tales'. One labour of love begat another.

Sláinte, MC.

Attach file:

jpg  HORSLIPS 10yrs BANNER.jpg (921.09 KB)
56_532a1b3858722.jpg 1336X494 px

Posted on: 19/03/14 23:33

Re: TEN WHOLE YEARS
The Power and the Glory!
From Dublin
Still find it hard to believe I never heard anything about this at the time, I would love to have seen it. I may very well have been on one of my very frequent visits to Derry while it was on but didn't know anything about it. Thanks to everyone who has posted photos and videos so that those of us who missed out could share some of the experience.

John

Posted on: 19/03/14 23:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

The Power and the Glory!
From Near W.ford,Wxford + K.kenny.
Little did anyone know then what would befall us then, and what treasures where to come.

Thanks Mark. Thanks Jim, Paul and Stefan...
Thanks Jim, Barry, Eamon,Johnny and Charles.

Posted on: 19/03/14 23:57

The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
Mark I have never had the pleasure of meeting you or your book but hard to find over here but I will get it one day to be sure. Although I missed that big coming out party I did contribute one or two items to it and in return received some interesting memento's including a recording of the nights performance which I shall treasure, not that I have not already treasured it. I took my original HTMSTP album which the lads signed while playing in Antigonish, Nova Scotia and framed it. I was able to find another original copy in good condition in a used record store in Calgary and now play that one.

Posted on: 20/03/14 0:02

From Southend-on-Sea
Hi Don, have you tried ordering the book online from Amazon? Most people I know in far-flung places seem to have got a copy from there.

Posted on: 20/03/14 1:54

From The True North of Ireland
I missed out on an invite to the opening night, but I was first through the door when the exhibition opened. Spent two days there just revelling in the memories... thank you Stephen Jim and Paul

Posted on: 20/03/14 2:16

You speak in whispers of the devils I have slain
If anyone wants a copy of the video I shot of the disgraceful scenes in the Hotel after as we partied the night away then please let me know.

Those that got flutered (yes, you know who you are) feature prominently.

Posted on: 20/03/14 12:02

Taff
From Bangor N.I.
Fantastic to think it was 10 years ago! I was not at it but went to the Waterfront in Belfast for the exhibition which coincided with the DVD launch.

Thanks to all concerned for keeping the legend alive and still going !

Here are some of my pix from the Waterfront.

Attach file:

jpg  DSCF0314.JPG (477.70 KB)
142_532adf08ae721.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  DSCF0322.JPG (600.29 KB)
142_532adf1b06411.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  DSCF0316.JPG (504.42 KB)
142_532adf294bf02.jpg 952X1154 px

jpg  DSCF0322.JPG (600.29 KB)
142_532adf3aabc1a.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  DSCF0320.JPG (593.81 KB)
142_532adf58a5f53.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  2006_0505Image0043.JPG (586.14 KB)
142_532adf65ac2e5.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  DSCF0311.JPG (612.80 KB)
142_532adf8394355.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 20/03/14 13:31

All my Horslips videos here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXBsY08fFbE&list=PL508D7EECE10652CF

Taff
From Bangor N.I.
Look who is behind Barry !

Posted on: 20/03/14 13:35

All my Horslips videos here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXBsY08fFbE&list=PL508D7EECE10652CF

The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
Mark, it would not be the same as buying it in Ireland which is what I will be doing. My wife and I are planning a trip overseas and buying it in a real bookstore, and then slipping into the local for pint and a read is the experience I am looking for, otherwise it's just a book. I want to pick it up, flip the pages, look at the photo's, and then carry it to the till and buy it! Call me old fashinoned! Context on this one is everything. Otherwise for me it is a bit like being in the desert, hot and thirsty and buying a book on freshwater streams over the internet.

Posted on: 20/03/14 16:06

The Power and the Glory!
From Edinburgh
Don, be aware that even the 'shortened' version of the book as eventually published is very heavy to lug around the world !

Best to all, John R.

Posted on: 20/03/14 16:12

The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
as The Band once said, "put the load right on me."

Posted on: 20/03/14 16:44

The Power and the Glory!
From Edinburgh
Let's talk about The Band sometime (not now!) I am a huge admirer....I was fortunate to meet Garth Hudson once when he was playing in Burrito Deluxe with Sneaky Pete.....

Best to all, John R.

Posted on: 20/03/14 17:04

The Power and the Glory!
Hey guys, thanks for the comments. I'll take the liberty of saying thanks from Jim and Paul too.

I was wondering if people would remember the anniversary. I was chatting with Jim at the weekend going over some of the little moments in the run up to the exhibition and he was pointing out some of the people directly and indirectly involved are no longer with us.

Jim mobilised the Horslips diaspora and a Derry/Dongegal gang to make the project work. There was seemingly universal enthusiasm for the idea, the Lips DNA was everywhere, one mention of Horslips and people treated us like close family.

I do remember hearing Marianne was first in to the exhibition, and remember Mark at the Belfast exhibition too. I remember eventually seeing Taff's Belfast photos (but I don't think I met you that day Robert).

Memory tells me too (I'm I right Don?), that Don Rogers sent a photo of a "Happy to Meet" Gold disc presentation which ended up on the Exhibition montage.

I think there are a lot of people like Donegal Dub that can't understand why they missed the whole thing.

I love the photograph and caption Mark. Yes the caption is most fitting, when did you think of that? When I see the photo I'm reminded that Eamon hurt is hand/finger a few days before the event. Did he catch it in the door of a car, I'm not sure! But he played on anyhow thank god.

It was indeed TEN YEARS AGO TODAY. Horslips were, are, and always will be:- THEE group to be proud of!

Posted on: 20/03/14 23:20

From The True North of Ireland
Quote:

RoryVanR wrote:
Let's talk about The Band sometime (not now!) I am a huge admirer....I was fortunate to meet Garth Hudson once when he was playing in Burrito Deluxe with Sneaky Pete.....

Best to all, John R.

They came to McGrory's - saw them there.

Posted on: 21/03/14 0:29

The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
Yes you are right. That picture and the single of Daybreak in its original sleeve and green vinyl I believe. Maybe wrong on the colour. Wow ten years ago! You can certainly take a lot of credit for the bands Renaissance, and Mark capturing the history of the band after their triumphant return. Wonderful stuff of which you all should be proud and satisfied with the good you all did.

Posted on: 21/03/14 2:08

From Southend-on-Sea
Let us not forget Maurice Linnane in all of this. I've been getting tons of credit lately, but it was Maurice who created the very first history of the band in visual form. Without his help and support, my job would have been made much harder.

Posted on: 21/03/14 19:24

The Power and the Glory!
From Edinburgh
FRC...as always, you have excellent taste! You sure have had some very fine bands swing around your way over the years.....impressive....I must put a few points up about that band later.....

Best to all, John R.

Posted on: 22/03/14 8:18

The Power and the Glory!
From Edinburgh
Ten years....I feel I should put something "profound " up about this, but maybe later......

Thank you to all the usual suspects who made this possible....

Hopefully we have another ten years to look forward to......

On the basis that if you don't ask , nobody listens and therefore you don't get....may I whisper that we really , really hope for some "proper" touring and (at least) one more blast at an electic full band studio album?

With the economies of scale and all that ....why not record three albums worth of material # at once and release them over three consecutive Christmas periods !

Best to all, John R.

ps....Insider...are you serious about the DVD ? I would love one.....said he not knowing if he is walking into a trap.....

#.....Admin could take ye all away to a cottage somewhere to um....encourage the creative juices.........I'm sure it would make sense......

Posted on: 22/03/14 8:46

The Power and the Glory!
Yes a new Album would be nice but I have me doubts as to this happening with them all busy living their lives.But where there is life there is hope I guess.

Posted on: 22/03/14 10:25

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Xoops
Powered

Themes By
4thefort