Login

Main Menu

Fan-tasia Search

Themes

(4 themes)

40 Years
Swaggerin' down the hall
40 years ago today we saw Horslips in Tempe Arizona. We had seen them in Boulder CO the year before & couldn't resist the opportunity for a road trip. So over the Continental Divide & through the Sonoran desert we trekked. Actually the Divide was closed due to a huge snow storm. The plows hadn't been able to keep up with the amount of snowfall. Didn't stop us though. We removed the road block sign & once again we were on an "unapproved road". Soon some plows started following us but we made it safe & sound. (Dunno about the sound part)
Horslips is the only band worth taking the chance of losing life & limb. From our 20s & now in our 60s we still feel the same way! To all the lucky fans going to the Con...Sláinte & God Bless.

Posted on: 10/05/19 17:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 40 Years
The Power and the Glory!
Hi Mads,
Was that a Denver to Phoenix trip? I know one road. The snow would only have been a problem for the first 1/3 of the journey.
Denver up by red rocks stadium into the rockies, pass snowy Breckenridge, Vail, drop to grand junction, over the great plains to desert Moab, on through hot monument valley and to flagstaff or Albuquerque, down to Phoenix and Tempe.
About 16 hours continous driving each way? Mad, Mad, Mad!
I spent a good few weeks in Mesa beside Tempe, about 15 years back, this forum was going as the green book. I found the Esdel reissue Cds on sale in the Phoenix stores.
I didn't know the band had played the area.
Early 79 the guys who have been playing the MWBA. I guess a small, say 8 hour, detour ( tiny) would have taken you to Promontory Summit on the way home -the location "driving the golden nails".

I'd guess we'll hear TMWBA tonight live beside the Lagan in Belfast. I'll raise a glass to Arizona and Colorado when i hear it, and toast the other USA Fantasian Mick. To keep peace ill toast digger and Mike when Germany chart topper Dearg Doom comes on. And I better toast Don and RVR if ill be waiting is played and Tatoo if there are clever jokes made. I Iain, Noel, Taff and the others will be there. Except insider in RTE who is still banned from gigs.
Thanks Mads..

Posted on: 11/05/19 7:24

The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
Went hiking in Arizona. Left Phoenix it was 85F. Drove up to the high plains/Mesa and found it was covered in snow and saw a sign for the Arizona Cross Country ski club on the side of the road. Never thought to bring our skis. That whole area is amazing. In Nevada we hiked Valley of Fire where it was scorching hot and headed up to Mary Jane Falls where we spent the last part of the trek hiking through snow. Incredible contrasts. I had this weird feeling of déjà vu then I read they filled a lot of Star Trek tv series scenes there. Very red Mars looking landscape.

Posted on: 11/05/19 16:55

One-hundred heads are so much better than One...
Good on You Stefan, watch out for flying bits of drumsticks during DD.

Mike

Posted on: 11/05/19 16:55

The Power and the Glory!
From Pittsburgh,PA
Cheers StefanF & Don,

Heading that way Tuesday flying into Phoenix getting limo to Enterprise renting vehicle. Then stopping in Sedona quickly and on to Flagstaff 2 nights, tour of Grand Canyon, leave there to Monument Valley for a day and night backtrack to Utah hitting Bryce Canyon a day meeting old Air Force friend stopping in Pocatella a night then Yellowstone 3 nights with guided tour and Tetons 3 nights. Tired thinking of it little bit of driving but looking forward to how much it has changed and my lady's reaction she has never been there so much wanted to hit Glacier and try to see you Don no time some day though.....

Best To All

Mick

Posted on: 24/05/19 19:17

The Power and the Glory!
I love Arizona, been out there many times.
Sedona is still magical, but oddly, now, there are lots of wee roundabouts on the roads on way in.

There is a Horslips fan in the sun valley media.

https://phoenixinformer.com/47286/hors ... -to-part-phoenix-picture/

https://phoenixinformer.com/39629/hors ... ethearts-phoenix-picture/

https://phoenixinformer.com/73984/hors ... ter-away-phoenix-picture/

Enjoy your great trip

Sedona
Grand Canyon
Monument Valley
Bryce Canyon
Yellowstone

I'd say it would be hard ever EVER to beat that!

Posted on: 25/05/19 1:25

The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
Steeler you should try to get to Bryce Canyon at night-noted for its dark skies where your deity of choice puts the heavens on display for its believers in a way not seen elsewhere. Glacier is about three hours south of Calgary. Currently in New York enjoying all this amazing city has to offer. Staying in Times Square and since the city is easy to walk we have walked the entire city. 9/11 memorial then ferry to Staten Island, the high line walking path, Hudson Yards area, Greenwich and West Village, then to the East Village, up through China and Korea towns, walked Central Park in its entirety, the Met where the Rock & Roll exhibition is featured along with an amazing collection of how we got to where we are today. The New York library was amazing as well. Today we will stroll down to Brooklyn Bridge and walk the bridge to Brooklyn and check it out. I visited the (according to some wag) record store ranked #1 in the world. It was crap. Called A1 Records. Awful place. There are more likely to n the way to Brooklyn so will check them out. Great city.

Posted on: 27/05/19 14:30

Taff
From Bangor N.I.
only catching up on this thread now, some great stories there and amazing details of the scenery and what one can see.

Congrats Don on passing the 1000 mark....and one more for Mike to top the 100 !

Posted on: 27/05/19 14:44

All my Horslips videos here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXBsY08fFbE&list=PL508D7EECE10652CF

[Advanced Search]

Xoops
Powered

Themes By
4thefort