Login

Main Menu

Fan-tasia Search

Themes

(4 themes)

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

GAA Championship thread 2011
The Power and the Glory!
From The Mid West ( and I don't mean Wisconsin or Minnesota ! )
Good game of football on at the moment ,
the Dubs are leading Cork 1.5 to 7 points in the Division one league final,
a portent to September's All-Ireland final I wonder ?

Posted on: 24/04/11 16:26

Re: GAA Championship thread 2011
The Power and the Glory!
From New Zealand
Could well be a Dublin-Tipp final in the hurling this year. KK out of sorts, Cork shagged, GY flattering to deceive and poor Wexford waiting for the U-21s to grow up...

Posted on: 24/04/11 23:35

Ring-A-Rosey
From Dundee Scotland
Aah Galway.....he sighed.You all know what I mean :)

Posted on: 26/04/11 18:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

The Power and the Glory!
From Killorglin, Co. Kerry
Kerry will reclaim Sam this year. They are like a wounded animal after last year and are never more dangerous.

Posted on: 26/04/11 21:40

The Power and the Glory!
Quote:

Donnacha wrote:
Could well be a Dublin-Tipp final in the hurling this year. KK out of sorts, Cork shagged, GY flattering to deceive and poor Wexford waiting for the U-21s to grow up...

Had my doubts on your finalists prediction on reading it, but , by golly Dublin looked good yesterday - strong physically and assured down the central positions and in control for most of the game, some of their point-taking was sublime as well though they looked to go through a couple of jittery stages late in the first half and hit a sticky patch in the second before finishing with a flourish.
They'll be on the premises for sure this year but a final appearance would look to be a year too soon for them. Kilkenny if they manage to get all their troops roadworthy are probably still the biggest threat to Tipp.
The win for the Dublin hurlers may have inadvertedly done their footballing counterparts a big favour by taking the heat of expectation off them around the capital.

Posted on: 02/05/11 22:33

The Power and the Glory!
The hurling championship really only starts in earnest tomorrow ( apologies to Westmeath, Carlow, Laois etc )
with the Munster old-firm meeting of Tipp and Cork and also a couple of interesting Leinster quarter-finals.
Tipperary suffered a set-back, that they recovered from brilliantly later in the year, in this fixture last year,
and I can't see them succumbing to the rebs this year.
They'll have had a winter of ribbing endured at the hands of their neighbours and will be determined to set the record straight, the break-up of Corks all conquering half-back line will be a big setback to Cork and despite the unpredictable nature of this tie throughout the years I can see nothing other than a comfortable Tipp win.
Tipp -3 points at evens looks good value.

Antrim got their first win in Leinster against Laois a fortnight ago and the long trip down to Wexford Park is their reward, Wexford did really well at the end of the league in particular to retain their division one status but the mantle of favouritism doesn't really sit well with them, and Antrim are always well capable of lifting their game come championship time, with this in mind I'll go for Antrim + 7 points on the handicap at 10/11.

If the biffo's injury list is anywhere like as bad as they say then they will be in trouble if the Dubs turn up at all, Dublin should win alright but I wouldn't touch the handicap until seeing how the teams actually line out.

Posted on: 28/05/11 13:47

Ring-A-Rosey
From Dundee Scotland
My mate Thornton ecstatic tonight after Armagh beat the mighty Down 1-15 to 1-10.

Amazing upset.Well done the Orchard county

Posted on: 28/05/11 23:25

The Power and the Glory!
No shock this week in Ulster ( not that I'd classify Armagh winning at home against Down necessarily as one ),
for all the talk of Ulster being such a minefield it only ever throws up the same two teams as winners these days,
will this year be any different ?

Posted on: 06/06/11 22:57

The Power and the Glory!
Quote:

Donnacha wrote:

KK not looking too out of sorts in Wexford park at the moment I'm afraid Donnacha, leading by 11pts with 10 mins still on the clock, comprehensive win for yer footballers earlier on against Westmeath, they must be in with a shout to make the Leinster final this year .
Tomorrow sees the first of the Munster hurling semis with Waterford v Limerick in Thurles, hard to look past Waterford in this against the recently promoted Limerick .
Limerick no doubt will play Donal O'Grady's style of short-passing, possession retaining hurling, but twice looked to be on the ropes against Clare in the D2 final, before being let back into it, and the step up to going toe-to-toe with the reigning Munster Champions looks a bridge too far for them , Waterford to win by 4 or more despite the horrid day forecast.

In the football Donegal and Louth should dispose of Cavan and Carlow with relative ease, while Leitrim will approach their home semi with the Rossies with a degree of confidence after disposing of Sligo in Markievick Pk, I've seen Ros' play this year a couple of times and have been underwhelmed,
Leitrim have alot of younger players and if they get off to a good start they'll give the sheepstealers plenty of it.

Posted on: 11/06/11 20:32

Ring-A-Rosey
From Dundee Scotland
Seem to have spent a lot of time watching everybody else's teams play.Fingers crossed for the hurling v the Dubs next week and got the rosaries out for Padraig to be fit for Mayo match.
I think you can tell the effect supporting Galway has had on my psyche!!

Posted on: 12/06/11 11:04

The Power and the Glory!
Galway supporters ......ye have it made!

Spare a thought for us south of the border,
First round in the football championship drew the All-Ireland champions , in Cork to make it worse, a hammering ensued.
First round in the hurling championship drew the All-Ireland champions , a hammering looms.
First round in the football qualifiers drew the beaten All-Ireland finalists, like how often is it that they'd be in the hat for the 1st round ?
- only consolation is that we won't to drive the four hours to endure it

Posted on: 13/06/11 14:32

The Power and the Glory!
"Galway supporters..

..spare a thought for us South of the border"

I doubt there'll be any sympathy on show for our lads in Salthill Saturday week.

Clare Footballers:
All-Ireland Champions away - 15 point loss
then A-I runners up this Saturday

Clare Hurlers ;
All-Ireland champions - 9 point loss
then the team that ran the AI Champs closest last year away

Posted on: 23/06/11 15:43

The Power and the Glory!
" Sympathy in Salthill " was in very little supply that Saturday evening by the seaside, the traffic going in was very heavy and as we turned ( now on foot ) at the end of the promenade for Pearce Pk we heard an almighty cheer, a goal for Galway, the game was on only a few minutes -plenty of time to turn it around hopefully we said hopefully,
broke in to a brisk trot and up to the caravan window to get our tickets, no sooner was the cash handed over than another big cheer rose up from inside,
hour and half in the car ,followed by 2km run, and tickets to see alost cause, in we went and endured our punishment,
final score Galway 4.25 Clare 0.20.
On the way back to the car I noticed a poster for The Indians ( a 1960s/70s Irish showband ) re-union concert in the ballroom by the seafront, comparisons of scalpings were hard to avoid.

Down had came down ( no pun intended ) to Ennis the previous Ssturday in what looked on paper to be a very straightforward task for them, the home crowd obviously thought the same and were outnumbered 3 of 4 to one by their northern visitors, however the Mournemen were pushed all the way by Clare and won by only a solitary point, and can count themselves lucky to have seen a goalbound Clare effort cleared of the line by their cornerback with the goalkeeper beaten, deep into injury time.
Close but no cigar for our lads.

Posted on: 14/07/11 14:55

Ring-A-Rosey
From Dundee Scotland
Drinking in the last chance GAA saloon this afternoon.Maroon and white forever!

Posted on: 24/07/11 12:49

The Power and the Glory!
I wouldn't go as far as saying ye're in the last chance saloon yet P,
I'd be surprised if Galway don't beat Waterford this afternoon, Waterford's fullback line seems to be quite an achilles heel for them and the Tribe's forwards are in mean goalscoring form.
The Galway minors had a big win last night putting 8.26 past an unfortunate Antrim side, Galway now go on to play Clare in the AI Minor semi, should be a humdinger
- Come on The Banner

Posted on: 24/07/11 14:49

You speak in whispers of the devils I have slain
Can someone please translate that into English. You can score 8.26 against an opponent? And Rooney breaks into the inside of the box and scores a brilliant 1.26 goal against Liverpool! A bit out to lunch on this one. Meanwhile back in the year one, you didn't stand a chance son.

Posted on: 25/07/11 6:05

Ring-A-Rosey
From Dundee Scotland
Waterford!!!!!!!!!! Arghhhhhh!!!!
Ah well there's still the Minors.

Posted on: 25/07/11 10:24

The Power and the Glory!
From New Zealand
Cal, the goalposts in GAA matches look like rugby ones, but with a goal area beneath the crossbar.
Scoring in GAA matches is based on goals (worth three points) and points. Points are scored when the ball is propelled over the crossbar and between the posts. A goal is scored when the ball is forced over the line into the goal area beneath the crossbar (much like in "soccer").
So if a team scores two goals and 14 points, the score is expressed as 2.14 or 2-14, meaning two goals and 14 points.
Simple really...

Posted on: 25/07/11 21:29

The Power and the Glory!
From Killorglin, Co. Kerry
I can't believe that Mayo beat Cork! I'm delighted though, as my mother hails from Swinford and my uncle used to play with Mayo and won a Connaught title with them.

Posted on: 31/07/11 22:59

Everything will be alright
From The True North of Ireland
C'mon Donegal!

What a nailbiter on Saturday - watched it in pub in Ballyshannon just prior to Johnny Fean gig!

Posted on: 02/08/11 20:38

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Xoops
Powered

Themes By
4thefort