Main Menu

Fan-tasia Search

Themes

(4 themes)

Walsh and Pound - Wrath of the Rain
Happy to meet
From UK
Hi all,

Just thought I'd post to say I discovered recently a duo Walsh and Pound, banjo, vocals and harmonica (don't be put off if you think you don't like those - they're incredible!). Anyway Dan Walsh is a self-confessed Horslips fanatic and they recorded Wrath of the Rain for their first album. It's quite a chilled out track but they've done it really nicely I think, check it out if you can. Here's a live version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9DfrSyTmeo.

I saw Dan solo a few years ago and he did Sword of Light as well which was stunning. His blog at www.danwalshbanjo.co.uk has quite a bit about Horslips including meeting them at Cropredy and seeing them in Dublin in 09.

Also if you watch the Shakin' All Over video from Cropredy you can see him worshipping Johnny's guitar solo!

Posted on: 08/02/12 0:28

Re: Walsh and Pound - Wrath of the Rain
The Power and the Glory!
From New Zealand
"...banjo, vocals and harmonica (don't be put off if you think you don't like those..."

And if I may quote the great Dave Rawlings here:

"What's the differnce between the banjo and the harmonica?
The harmonica only sucks on every second note..."

I thaggyew, thaggyew, I'll be here all week. Try the gefilte fish etc....

Posted on: 08/02/12 7:32

Ring-A-Rosey
From Dundee Scotland
Nice one Donnacha!
However.....loved this version.Check it out comrades

Posted on: 09/02/12 2:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

The Power and the Glory!
For successful musicans I'd say there comes a time when the thrill of hearing your music broadcast becomes old hat.

But to discover your music being reinterpreted and propagated in this way, especially by younger generations, must be very heartwarming.

The various covers of Horslips tracks posted this week are fascinating, but I think this Wrath of the Rain version has something unexpected and special.

... and Donnacha, if you see the oul sod in 2012 then I'll lend you my banjo.

Posted on: 10/02/12 23:08

Taff
From Bangor N.I.
I have just been given a mandolin so if I ever learn how to play it I will try out some of the Horslips classics....I can hear the groans now but if Ade Edmondsen can do it with the Bad Shepherds must be worth a go !!!

Reckon Charles could give me a few lessons ??? Anyone tell me how you tune it for a start ?

Posted on: 11/02/12 0:44

All my Horslips videos here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXBsY08fFbE&list=PL508D7EECE10652CF

You speak in whispers of the devils I have slain
Nice one Taff. The mandolin tuning is G,D,A,E with G being the thickest strings at the top (nearest your head if you are holding it the right way up!) The sets of two strings together are tunes the same.

Have a look at this clip and copy what the guy is doing. You have it sorted in no time..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZo8_J9R47k&feature=related

Posted on: 11/02/12 3:49

Taff
From Bangor N.I.
Thanks Hugh, I managed to get a bit of time to hoke about the net and f
ound a great guy called Brad Lard so I now have a tuned mandolin and know 2 chords !!!! Hope to catch up on Mr Hansen..tho' may take a few years !

Posted on: 11/02/12 4:35

All my Horslips videos here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXBsY08fFbE&list=PL508D7EECE10652CF

[Advanced Search]

Xoops
Powered

Themes By
4thefort