Main Menu

Fan-tasia Search

Themes

(4 themes)

(1) 2 »

Happy New Year to one and all
The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
Hoping to meet some of you at the March shows. I likely if all goes well, will be hanging with Stefan.

A safe and Happy New Year to the Horslips family.

Best to all.

Don

Posted on: 31/12/19 4:08

Re: Happy New Year to one and all
Taff
From Bangor N.I.
Happy New Year to you Don ! Up to speed on when NY arrives for you as Emily still out there !

Be great if you get to the Stroke City gigs so we can meet you.

Posted on: 31/12/19 11:38

All my Horslips videos here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXBsY08fFbE&list=PL508D7EECE10652CF
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

The Power and the Glory!
Happy new year everyone,hope it's a good one.

Posted on: 31/12/19 18:25

Swaggerin' down the hall
From Naas
Happy New Year to Horslips and all their fans.
Great memories of mid 1970's Red Island gigs on New Years Eve.
One year they even went out live on RTE radio

Posted on: 31/12/19 22:57

The Power and the Glory!
Happy New Year to one and all.
It occurs to me we've been hailing the New Year at this website for 20 years and still, perhaps even more now than then, the band are being talked about in Irish media almost very week.
And Pat, I hadn't heard that there was a live New Years Eve broadcast on RTE radio.

Yes, hopefully some of us will meet up through the year. Let's hope its a good one.

Posted on: 01/01/20 18:04

Swaggerin' down the hall
From Naas
Yes Stefan, I think it was 1975/76. The band went out live on air for about 15 minutes around the midnight countdown.
I wonder if RTE archives might have a recording. Maybe it disappeared just like the famous Harp Lager ad!

Posted on: 01/01/20 19:49

The Power and the Glory!
The Harp Lager ad can be found on YouTube as far as I know.

Posted on: 01/01/20 21:25

The Power and the Glory!
I'm not sure about about the Harp Advert Digger but I found this about Pat's story of the Horslips Larry Gogan - New Year Eve Live broadcast. It seems to be written by Eamon.

Quote:

www.skerriesnews.ie published September 2007
Memories of Red Island, Skerries - by EAMON CARR

Although it's no longer with us, I seem destined to be forever linked with Red Island.

And that's not a bad thing. Because my memories of the old holiday camp are only good.

The venue became a regular fixture on Horslips' touring itinerary in the 1970s. But my first trip to the Head wasn't with the band. It was to visit a schoolmate who'd taken a summer job there as all-round go-for and dishwasher.

Tommy and I lived on the same street. As kids we were in the same boxing club together. He was a few years older and bloodied my nose plenty of times. But, when we wound up in the same boarding school, Tommy looked out for me, gave me good advice and made sure I wasn't being picked on by the older boys.

As a young teenager, Red Island marked his first step into an adult world. They were innocent times and I was impressed that he was meeting, and working alongside, women from all over Ireland. And, in those days, most of the residents at Red Island were from England. This I had to check out. We had a laugh that sunny afternoon. He didn't want to hang around the job so we walked along the south strand investigating the arcades, playing a few tunes on a jukebox, turning down an opportunity to play Pongo and taking a few snaps in our smartest clothes. Dudes, don'tcha know.

Tommy was officer material. Indeed, he'd just made the grade with flying colours in the army when he died tragically in a car accident.

I couldn't escape experiencing a twinge of sadness the next time I set foot on the Head. But by then much had changed.

A few months earlier, I'd been working by day and having a bit of fun in the evenings with my mates, mixing traditional tunes on fiddles and concertinas with rock'n'roll drums and electric guitars. Horslips had enjoyed a couple of surprise hits in the Irish charts and my life had changed dramatically. By this stage the perceived security of a day job was gone and I was touring with the band. At times it felt a bit like having run away with the circus. The idea of getting paid for clowning around had its own special charm.

The ballroom in Red Island appeared enormous to us. It seemed inconceivable that we'd attract an audience. While the pre-gig soundcheck was fraught, as the crew did battle with particularly tricky acoustics in the room, we enjoyed the most splendid vista afforded by any gig, anywhere in the world.

Those who were there will recall an enormous window wall at the opposite end to the stage. That afternoon we watched the light turn the blue sea to a sheet of silver out past The Captain's and all the way to Rockabill. It was magical. No wonder the place had been such a hit with holiday-makers.

Over the years, Horslips' gigs at Red Island became more and more riotous affairs. Quite often, they were sell-out shows, which added to the sense of anticipation and occasion.

I regularly meet people who recall those hot, sweaty, madcap nights. Word once reached the band that some travelling fans had broken into a school. As a result, our visits generated a whiff of controversy as some local people, fearing an invasion of crazed hooligans, objected to the gigs going ahead.

I routinely meet people who turned out to see Horslips in Red Island. Just last month, a perfectly respectable-looking Dublin man approached me and said how much he'd enjoyed seeing us at the venue. You can imagine my surprise when he told me of the night he and his pals were stranded in the town, with no way of getting back to the city. "We broke into a school," he revealed. "We didn't do any damage, except to a window. But we were desperate for some place to put our heads down for the night."

When I saw documentary-maker Maurice Linnane's film on Horslips, The Return Of The Dancehall Sweethearts, I was astonished to hear the Edge say his first live rock gig as a kid was seeing Horslips at Red Island. But I shouldn't have been too surprised. Red Island seemed a magnet for interesting characters.

When Thin Lizzy came home in triumph following the chart success of Whiskey In The Jar, they played Red Island. Philip (Lynott) was crashing in the flat of our tour manager at the time, so, before we went to play our own show somewhere else, he and I drove out to meet up and catch the soundcheck. I'd never seen another band on that stage before so it was interesting to see how Brian Downey's drumkit looked from down on the floor.

There have been other well known talents who've told me they shared the bill with Horslips in Red Island at some point or other. Actor Joe Savino fronted a band. Sax virtuoso Richie Buckley played some early stints there before going on to work with Van Morrison, Bob Dylan and John Lee Hooker. And Marty Whelan still complains about some long forgotten soundcheck hassle whenever we meet. Yes, Marty once played in a band.

Red Island once became the centre of New Year's Eve festivities for the entire country. It was around '77 or '78, with a live link to Larry Gogan in the RTE radio studio. There was a stylish introduction from Larry, a midnight countdown and then the band and audience cracked into a creaky version of Auld Lang Syne (is there any other type?) before returning to a more familiar repertoire. Afterwards radio listeners remarked that the crowd sounded wild and uncontrollable.

We felt they'd been more reserved than usual. They'd been on their best behaviour for fear of letting the side down. They were infinitely more boisterous when the national broadcaster wasn't around.

I made some lifelong friends at those Red Island gigs, among them Skerries resident Dave McLoughlin, who became a big wheel in advertising and marketing. And TT fanatic, Myles Lally, who made an invaluable contribution to the Horslips' story by loaning me his drums when we reformed to appear on the Late Late Show and some other RTE programmes.

Photographer Paul Callaghan, one of the trio who organised an exhibition of Horslips memorabilia at the Orchard Gallery in Derry (which features in Linnane's documentary) was a regular at the band's Red Island gigs. "They were amazing," he claims. "In summer, it would still be daylight until about 11 o'clock. Before the band would come on, you could stand there and admire the marvellous views. It was a unique experience."

The interest in the band that exhibition generated was remarkable. The organisers (Jim Nelis, Stephen Ferris and Paul Callaghan) found themselves inundated with posters, photographs, ticket stubs and old newspaper cuttings from all around the world.

One of the more interesting items that turned up was a copy of a student magazine called School Echo. It came from Skerries. And it contained a cartoon by Charles O'Connor, the man who sang Dearg Doom and designed the band's album sleeves.

I remember the day well.

It was at one of our early, if not the first, appearances at Red Island, while the road crew were setting up the equipment on stage, that the band drove back into the town in search of fish'n'chips. With the fishing boats in the harbour as a backdrop, we were scoffing what would be our lunch, dinner and tea, when a group of schoogirls approached and asked for an autograph. Charles went one better. He quickly sketched a jokey cartoon of the group in what was our first band wagon, a battered old purple van we'd bought from the English rock group Ashton, Gardner and Dyke. (They'd been in the charts a year or two earlier with Resurrection Shuffle.)

You can't miss me. I'm the good-looking clean-shaven one, second from the right. You always had to look your best for Red Island, right?

Published exclusively by Skerries News, September 2007

Attach file:

jpg  1929038_63022760769_3698871_n.jpg (65.49 KB)
169_5e0d28cedcb49.jpg 420X604 px

Posted on: 01/01/20 23:20

The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
out where?

Posted on: 02/01/20 2:54

Taff
From Bangor N.I.
great story of Eamon's there Stefan

Posted on: 02/01/20 13:46

All my Horslips videos here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXBsY08fFbE&list=PL508D7EECE10652CF

The Power and the Glory!
Sorry Stefan,I was mixing it up with the Mirinda ad.

Posted on: 02/01/20 15:51

The Power and the Glory!
From Dublin
Happy New Year everyone,I am just back from Derry where a Horslips banner still adorns the entrance to St. Columbs Hall advertising the gigs on 14th & 15th March.

Don, looking forward to meeting you again and StefanF, I love the story from Eamonn, especially being accompanied by the actual cartoon itself.

Unfortunate news this week that the exhibition is not going ahead in Derry but looking forward to the two gigs and I will also be in the Olympia on 17th March.

Best wishes for 2020 to all on fantasia, contributors and lurkers alike.

Hope to see many of you in Derry in March.

John

Posted on: 04/01/20 14:54

The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
Looking forward to seeing you as well. This time the pints are on me!

Posted on: 07/01/20 21:28

Taff
From Bangor N.I.
pints on you? Didn't know you were that rich, haha

Posted on: 10/01/20 18:35

The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
rolling in dough like a regular pig in the blanket

Posted on: 11/01/20 1:27

The Power and the Glory!
From Calgary
Unfortunately it will have to be another time. Needing another knee surgery which will ground me for 6 weeks, no driving, no flying so that is that. Very frustrating. Surgery date is February 19. Our planned trip to Spain, Ireland and Morocco to do some hiking will now not happen.

Posted on: 11/01/20 15:58

Taff
From Bangor N.I.
oh dear, sorry to hear that but your health comes first . Best of luck with that Don

Posted on: 11/01/20 18:49

The Power and the Glory!
From Dublin
Sorry you won't make it this year Don. Hopefully I'll see you again further on up the road. . .

Good luck with the surgery but I think you have had more than enough practice in getting over knee surgeries so it won't be a problem for you.

John

Posted on: 12/01/20 18:54

The Power and the Glory!
From Pittsburgh,PA
Hi All,

Sad Don, I was planning in 2021 to come but missus mentioned seeing Colorado so had to give in. Need my left knee done also want to shed some more fat first. Maybe we can all go over same time and have a blowout be a blast

Best To All

Mick

Posted on: 15/01/20 14:14

Everything will be alright
From The True North of Ireland
Happy New Year all, I'll be at St. Columbs on 14th and at Ballyshannon! See you there.

Posted on: 17/01/20 2:37

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Xoops
Powered

Themes By
4thefort